Monday, July 25, 2011

Murdoch Mysteries & Eugenics

I just watched Murdoch Mysteries with my Dad - I generally hate this show, the dialogue is terrible & so is most of the acting. However, they do tend to cover some very contentious issues in an excellent way. I decided to watch this episode because it was about EUGENICS (it was Season 3, Episode 8 - "Future Imperfect"), & portrayed it in a very negative & truthful matter - with puppies! If you want to show something evil - illustrate it with puppies! (This isn't an original idea of mine - This picture, from a friend of mine gave it to me :-))

The main character, Murdoch, was invited to a Eugenics Society meeting, without knowing what the meeting is about. H. G. Wells speaks at the meeting & later invites Murdoch to become a member, he refuses. A man's arm is found by a dog during the meeting. The arm is that of a Eugenicist who was murdered by his son-in-law to be, who, not knowing that the older man had turned his back on Eugenics, had discovered that his blood line would not be considered "good enough". Meanwhile, Murdoch's "nemesis" (according to http://www.murdochmysteries.com/) was doing horrible experiments with puppies & keeping them in jars, which lead Murdoch to state that Eugenics will lead to forced sterilisation & human experimentation. Which, in the case of the Nazis was perfectly true.

From a Private Facebook Profile


There is apparently another early episode (with a different cast) about Abortion, but I've never seen it, I'd certainly be very interested to though!

(Originally published as a Facebook Note on 14/07/2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family & Life | ProlIfe

Latest News | Youth Defence

Youth Defence | Blog

Life Institute | Blog

Pro Life Campaign | Latest News

Precious Life | News

The Iona Institute RSS Feed